Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Feeling the Burn while Feeding the Brain: What a concept!

As I said in my post yesterday, I started a new daily devotion.  I actually found the devotional book in my husband's nightstand, a gift to him from my mother-in-law, Lesly.  Although I'm only a few days into it, I'm LOVING it, and I highly recommend you pick it up if you are ever looking for something to jump-start your day.  It's called The One Year Devotional: Walk with God by Tiegreen.  It's simple, applicable and easy to read - and I love that it doesn't require a huge time commitment (although that's not really important, I KNOW.)  It's good.  Read it.

Anyway, as I was finishing up with my reading this morning I realized something.  As a kiddo, we all learned the Books of the Bible's New Testament by singing the song, right? "Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, Acts and the Letters to the Roooooomans!"  Well, I may have the occasional mix-up, but I am usually right on track with these.  However, I never learned the Books of the Old Testament - did you?  This morning I realized that I can only recite the first five in order: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.

SOOOOO... I decided that I'd make a memory card, similar to those you'd make if you are trying to memorize your favorite Bible verses.  Only this time, I made it with the Books of the Old Testament.  I even had room for the New Testament, so I put those on there, too - just in case I can't remember the old Sunday School tune.

AND... I took my new card to the gym with me this morning.  I'm now proud to say that after 3.7 miles on the treadmill, I can recite the books of the Old Testament.

All of this before 9 o'clock in the morning - I feel quite accomplished!

PLUS... it made the workout go by sooooo much faster.  Could it be because my mind was working as hard as my body on that treadmill?  I'm thinking so!  I even zoned out a little, timing my running pace as I recited each book.

This, my friends, is a good thing!

Now I need to decide what else I can study on the treadmill - my "Treadmill Trivia," if you will.  Any suggestions?  Maybe I'll learn how to count to ten in various languages, or the periodic table of elements (Mr. Nauert would be so proud!)  How about the State Capitols (no, I never learned that either.)  Or maybe I'll make it fun and memorize the list of all of our Miss Americas!  FUN!

Here's a photo of my card, in case you want to see what I stared at for an hour.  I know it's blurry, but the camera on my iPhone really isn't all it's cracked up to be:

Rana's Memory Card for the Books of the Bible

And in case you want to make one of your own, but don't know where your Bible is (or how to use Google for that matter), OR you want to put me to the test, here are the Books of the Old Testament, in order - of course:

Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Judges, Ruth, 1 Samuel, 2 Samuel, 1 Kings, 2 Kings, 1 Chronicles, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Esther, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Ezekiel, Daniel, Hosea, Joel, Amos, Obadiah, Jonah, Micah, Nahum, Habakkuk, Zephaniah, Haggai, Zechariah, and Malachi.

How'd I do?

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed! I'm embarrassed to admit I'm almost 33 and still don't have them memorized. I'm adding it to my to-do list:)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment! And when you do, please make sure you select 'Name/URL' under profiles so that I can tell who you are, rather than selecting 'Anonymous' - unless, of course, you want to remain... anonymous.

(You can also select one of the other profiles, for those of you who know what those are.)

Thanks for reading!